What is a Grid Kids Duathlon?
A Duathlon is like a Triathlon but without the swim! The Grid Kids duathlon involves running and cycling – so if you can ride a bike and have a pair of sneakers you can take part in the Series.
Grid Kids is a chance for you to show others what you can do – prove to your friends, family and supporters that you have what it takes to be a Grid Kid – be centre stage on the motor racing circuits around NZ and we will give you a t-shirt, medal and certificate for bragging rights!
The Grid Kids team will be there to cheer you on, along with the V8 racing car teams who will be watching you in Pit Lane as you do your transition from run to bike.
Grid Kids is all about giving you the chance to be in the spot light and achieve something that you can be proud of!. So grab your shoes, blow the dust and cobwebs off your bike and helmet and get out there with your friends, family and supporters and start preparing for an event near you!
What is a team?
We like to make sure that everyone can have a go at the Grid Kids Duathlon so we have included teams. So if you only want to do the bike (or vice versa) find a team member and enter a team in the event. A team consists of two people in the same age group, can be mixed gender. One person completes the run and one person completes the bike. Both team members receive a medal, certificate and t-shirt for the event.
How old do I need to be?
6 years is the youngest you can be to enter and the oldest is 13 years. Your age is taken on the day of the event.
How much will it cost?
Individual - $25
Teams - $45
Family - $45 for 2 family members and $60 for 3 family members (individual event only)
How can I enter?
- You can enter online using a credit card.
- You can download and post in an entry form with a cheque or deposit the entry fee into the nominated bank account.
- You can enter at registration
Late entry fees?
We do not charge late entry fees for events
Where do I register?
You can register the Friday before each event from 3pm – 6pm (venue varies per event - see event information page for more details) or on the morning of the event from 6:00am – 8:00am. Please be aware that there may be cues on the morning of the event so it is advisable to register the night before as you don’t want to miss your start!
What will I get in my race pack?
- An event T-shirt – please wear this so we know you are part of the Grid Kids event
- A race number to be worn on the front of your t-shirt
- Free entry to the Sunday motor racing plus 2 extra tickets for your support crew
Where do I put my race number?
Pin you number to the front of your event t-shirt so we can see it clearly
Do I need to wear the Grid Kids T-shirt?
Yes please! We like to be able to identify you at the event.
What time do I start?
Each event has slightly different start times. Please refer to the event information page to find the exact times - click here for the event information page.
What equipment do I need?
All you need is a bike, a helmet and a pair of running shoes/sneakers:
- Bike: You can ride any type of bike. Make sure that Mum or Dad take it into your nearest bike shop to have it checked over before the event.
- Helmet: It will need to be an approved helmet without any cracks. Your local bike shop will be able to make sure that you helmet meets the NZ standards.
- Shoes: You will have to wear shoes for the entire event, including the run. Jandals or sandals are not allowed, your shoes need to completely cover your feet.
What happens if it rains?
The event will still run unless it is considered too dangerous. The local radio station will be notifed if there is a cancellation and you will be told when you arrive at the event. We have never cancelled an event due to the weather - if it is too windy we turn the Duathlon into a longer run.